Now that things are slowing down (relatively) for the winter I’m taking some time to consider what I would like to work on this year. I had look at my 2011/2012 goals and, while we worked little bit on all of them, the only ones we achieved was fixing the back up 3 steps for rally and getting started with Nose Work. Two is better than none right?
What have discovered is that it’s really hard to stay motivated to do something when that something has no real application in our competition lives or our daily lives. I have given up on the long stand/down – we aren’t likely to ever compete in any event that requires either exercise. Same goes for retrieving.
We are at a point in our competition/trialing/testing career that there are more things we could do than I have time or money for. Planning ahead will allow me to invest my training time and money on things that:
- Will keep Bear fit and healthy.
- We enjoy.
- Will make life easier for us (by us I men me!)
- Will help us to be successful in the competition ring.
To this end, here is a list of things I’d like to try accomplish in 2013.
- Improve weave pole entrance at high speed.
- Improve Bear’s ability to focus when highly aroused.
Health & Fitness
- Improve Bear’s overall fitness and muscle tone with FitPAWS equipment, his backpack and his cart..
- Improve Bear’s flexibility by performing daily stretches.
- Keep up the with Bear’s daily supplements.
- Teach Bear to identify and indicate human scent indoors.
- Improve stamina and focus on longer tracks (<100 yards).
- Reduce (or eliminate) barking at work.