I’m not sure what I was thinking when I planned to attend 2 seminars and 2 rally trials within 4 weeks. Add in the fact that Sean was away for a week of that time, and the fact that I was planning one of those seminars and POOF! There went the time.
Lack of time made for a furious week of cart completion which went right up to and including the Saturday evening before Our Weekend with Sue Ailsby. The complications seemed endless:
- I did not have the proper saw for cutting the very expensive aluminum angle but eventually realised that I needed a hacksaw. Once I found the right saw, I purchased a Mitre stand when I really needed a Mitre Box. and now I know more about mitre-ing than anyone should know.
- Once I had the aluminum angle cut for some reason, it did not fit the boards (bottom and sides) I had prepared. Since wood is relatively inexpensive, and easier to cut I decided to cut the boards down so that they would fit the angle.
By this point I gave up all pretence of following the instructions – since I had clearly not followed them to begin with.
- Since I wasted so much time cutting aluminum, I thought I would get ahead of the game and drill holes in the angle before I assembled everything and, of course, I drilled holes in the wrong places the result is aluminum angle that looks somewhat swiss cheesy.
- Where the wheels and shaft were concerned, things went relatively well. The threaded steel rod that Sean procured for me was a bit long but using my newly acquired hacksaw skills I was able to cut it down. Once the wheels were mounted on the shaft, I could tell that the turning of the wheel was going to wear on the sides of the cart but I have a plan to fix this. I will also have to find a way to secure the wheel to the cart from the outside.
- The cart shafts were probably the most stressful part to complete – I had no clue where to find a tube bender and no desire to purchase one (I’d never need one ever again). Luckily Sean and a coworker of his suggested cutting and welding the tubing into a 90 degree angle creating the same basic shape that was called for in the plans. They did this after work, on their own time and I shall be eternally thankful because the shafts are the best looking part of the cart!
- If all of the above was not enough, the eye bolts I purchased to serve as the brakes on the shafts were too short and the end caps that I purchased for the shafts keep falling off.
- and Finally, I never did find the ½ u channel to ‘finish the top edge of the cart but it’s a relatively minor issue compared to anything else.
With a few weeks hindsight I have decided that the cart is not all that bad. I have lots of ideas for how to improve it which are as follows:
- Cut boards and the aluminum angle to make the cart a more manageable size – I have experience with this now!
- Purchase washers for both bolts that attach the shafts to the cart to prevent the shafts from wiggling so much.
- Purchase washers and possibly lock nuts for mounting the wheels.
- Find some appropriately sized bolts to use as brakes.
- Use plumbers tape to help seal the end caps onto the shafts.
- Look (again) for ½ U channel to finish the top edge of the cart.
- I am also going to install some more eye bolts onto the cart to provide anchors for bungee cords and tie-down. Apparently the load n a draft test can be anything and if you lose it – you automatically fail!
Stay tuned for photos after FrankenCart’s makeover!
2 thoughts on “Making a Cart – Part Three:Behold! The FrankenCart!”
Bear looks suitably impressed at “his person’s” work!!!!! so is Grandma Bear. And Grammie would be too. After all she started this, by showing her granddaughter, and me, that we could do anything we set our mind to…………………. Great job Ayoka…………..
I thought your cart looked great – even if you had to lose a bit of sleep to dedicate more time to it on Saturday night. . . .
When Yo ordered mine, Bill Wilczek advised getting the larger cart as loads in Canada were not always just weights like a typical test in the US. The load could be just about anything and it was too risky to have a small cart and chance losing the load during the test. I’d say Bear looks pretty darn proud in the photo – not many dogs have a cart, nevermind one that was build by ‘mom’ just for him!